Country Director Expired
|Duration:||12 months with possibility to renew. The first three months are a trial period.|
|Exp.:||2018-11-04-(5 Months Ago)|
|Salary:||As per Mission East (HQ) Salary Scale|
|Organization:||Mission East | About Mission East|
|Education:||Education should be of degree level or higher preferably in development studies engineering and..|
|Work Experience:||3-4 Years|
Education should be of degree level or higher preferably in development studies engineering community development or another relevant discipline.
• Substantial previous overseas experience in an international relief or development setting preferably with a non-governmental organisation and in a range of sectors relevant to Mission East’s Afghanistan programme. This must include significant field experience including management of national and international staff project planning and implementation and budget management.
• Demonstrated experience in donor liaison writing and preparation of proposals and applications and in successfully securing funding of large relief and development projects including development of budgets logframes and work plans.
• Demonstrated experience in assessing the needs of poor rural communities and appropriate and sustainable ways of addressing them.
• Demonstrated leadership experience in a humanitarian/development NGO setting including strategy development and detailed coordination
• Demonstrated experience with cross-cultural communication and complex interpersonal relations; negotiating and working with expatriate staff managers government officials national staff other non-governmental staff community elders etc.
• Demonstrated experience with security management in an insecure environment.
• Experience of living and working in Afghanistan or South Asia would be a distinct advantage.
• Leadership and decision-making ability
• Personnel management and team-building skills with an ability to delegate follow-up and supervise as well as support.
• Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication and mediation skills
• Understanding of NGO accounting and financial management
• Strong writing skills
• Strong external representational skills
• Fluency in spoken and written English. Some knowledge of Dari /Persian would be an asset.
• Excellent computer skills in Word and Excel. Experience with Outlook Power Point etc.
• Agreement with Mission East’s Organisational Values.
Duties & Responsibilities
Line Management: You will be managed by the Brussels based HQ Programme Manager for Afghanistan. You will have reporting lines to the HQPM and to the Mission East Operations Director. You will manage Mission East’s country office for Afghanistan and a team of 113 international and national staff.
To oversee all aspects of Mission East’s work in Afghanistan with key roles of government donor and NGO liaison; staff management; country finance control; new donor and project identification and development; strategy design and implementation; and security management.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
* Take the lead in writing updating and promoting Mission East Afghanistan country strategy both internally and externally and help to ensure that it is in line with the Mission East global organizational strategy
* Identify current and new trends and developments new areas of project involvement and new donors to support the organization’s strategic direction.
* Provide necessary management support and oversight to needs assessments project evaluations MEAL improvements etc.
* Seek in-country funding for the ME Afghanistan programme or for its particular thematic components.
* Ensure organization-wide compliance with the Common Humanitarian Standard NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct Sphere Minimum Standards and Mission East policies.
Liaison & Coordination
* Appropriate and extensive liaison with other NGOs donors and governmental agencies and Ministries for excellent coordination and representation through established in-country coordination mechanisms and networks.
* Raise Mission East’s visibility and profile in all relevant and key in-country networks (Clusters UN CHAP/CHF etc.)
* Ensure that Mission East’s programming conforms with governmental strategies and Afghan law and collaborates/ coordinates with government programmes as possible.
* Assume overall responsibility for the successful completion of Mission East projects and programs and achievement of planned targets and objectives.
* Oversee needs assessments for new projects and assessment / identification of local project partners.
* Provide necessary oversight and management support for the monitoring and evaluation of projects (through the use of Project Work-books and trackers and other MEAL tools) recommending modifications and new activities and dissemination of lessons learnt and good practices.
* Visit project sites on a regular basis and support good practices in community liaison and participatory development methodologies appropriate to the Afghan context
* Ensure that complaints mechanisms information sharing mechanisms and participatory mechanisms are included in programme activities and respected by programme staff as per Core Humanitarian Standards.
* Promote gender sensitivity protection principles and inclusive approaches in all ME Afghanistan programming.
Proposal Development and Fundraising
* Seek external and in-country funding for current and potential new projects and programmes.
* Coordinate proposal design and writing from in-country together with the Chief of Programmes.
* Ensure that Mission East Afghanistan’s programming conforms to country government strategies and national policies.
* Line management of and support to senior staff (expatriate and national) including staff development
* Conducting of staff appraisals and setting of Performance Objectives.
* Participation in determination of ongoing/future staff requirements and recruitment processes.
* In coordination with senior management ensuring that staff training and capacity-building needs are being identified and addressed.
* Ensuring that there are proper and adequate complaints and grievance mechanisms in place and accessible to all staff members and that all grievances are being addressed in a sensitive and timely manner; play the role of mediator and ‘conflict mitigator’ as and when needed.
* Facilitate and promote good constructive working relationships between the different departments within Mission East in Afghanistan and between HQ and the field with a view to building a culture of respect and integrity in line with Mission East’s values and Code of Conduct.
* Hold responsibility for internal reporting and communications as per Mission East requirements and procedures.
* Ensure timely delivery of quality reporting to donors and external partners as appropriate including narratives budgets work plans.
* To be responsible for the safety and security of all national and international staff & visitors
* Oversee security and Health/Safety management systems in Afghanistan.
* Lead security planning and field security management
* Oversee awareness and implementation of Mission East security policy and procedures through field staff including regular risk assessments.
* Represent Mission East at appropriate security coordination meetings
* Other possible duties as agreed with the HQ Programme Manager
To apply for this post please visit www.miseast.org/vacancies where you will be able to complete an application form. Please ensure that all sections are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form.
Final closing date for this position is 04/11/2018.