• University degree in Agriculture / Natural Resources Management/ or relevant fields.
• Demonstrable recent experience of working with NGOs in NRM / Agro-forestry/ sustainable livelihoods development
• Experience of preparing proposals and budgets overseeing budgets preparing work plans staff capacity building / mentoring etc
• Experience in monitoring/evaluating projects and donor liaison.
• First-hand experience of conducting PRAs – Participatory Rural Appraisal techniques and other participatory tools
• Experience of security management (of both national and expatriate staff) in conflict- and post-conflict environments.
Skills & Competencies Required:
• Excellent technical knowledge and skills in natural resource management agro-forestry etc.
• Good understanding of the needs of rural communities particularly in a high-risk conflict environment and of appropriate and participatory ways of tackling these needs.
• Demonstrable personal integrity and high standards of personal conduct.
• Knowledge of spoken and written English Dari and or Uzbek with good drafting/reporting skills (in English)
• Strategic and analytical thinking and ability to perform under pressure.
• Ability to manage processes maintain focus on objectives and meet deadlines.
• Personnel management skills: ability to delegate follow-up supervise and support.
• Excellent project monitoring quality control information management and processing skills
• Understanding of donor guidelines and regulations as well as international protocols and guidelines
• Understanding of basic accounting and budget management skills
• Basic computer knowledge; willingness to travel and stay in the field.
• Ability to listen sensitivity to people
• Positive organizational skills;
• Problem & Conflict resolution skills
• Presentation skills and excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Understanding and skills for partnership development and management disability inclusion and gender mainstreaming and women empowerment.
• Committed to Mission East vision mission and values
• University degree in Agriculture / Natural Resources Management/ or relevant fields.
Duties & Responsibilities
~~ME-GIZ Forest Landscape Rehabilitation (FLR) Project Manager (FLR-PM) is responsible for integrating key landscape rehabilitation and environmental priorities into ME’s mainstream Natural Resources Management and livelihoods programming. ME’s approach to NRM lies at the intersection between developing good local governance systems and creating sustainable economic and livelihood alternatives. ME’s focus areas within NRM are environmental governance land use planning community-based natural resource management (CBNRM) and capacity development of local regional and national stakeholders.
Specific responsibility of the position as FLR-PM is to ensure the successful and effective delivery of the planned results of the GIZ-FLR project in Rustaq Takhar Afghanistan and to be responsible for the entire project cycle management. The FLR PM will have a dedicated team that will be supported in the identification assessment referral and implementation of direct services to the targeted communities.
Key Working Relationships (horizontal & vertical):
The PM administratively reports to the Regional Programme Manager and will be required to maintain regular working relationships with the Chief of Programmes Programme and MEAL Officers and Assistants and other programme staff in Rustaq. S/He also is responsible to coordinate with staff of other thematic Programmes with Finance Human Resources Logistics Security and other operational support units and with project beneficiaries CDC members and local district and provincial authorities as required.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The FLR-PM is accountable to fulfil his/her roles and responsibilities in line with Mission East Code of Conduct values principles and in all its conduct puts primacy to the best interest of Mission East.
Programme Development and Management:
• Lead the technical excellence of Mission East in forest landscape restoration techniques natural resource management and environmental governance including developing integrated programme approaches.
• Provide technical assistance to the field teams so that they are better able to meet FLR/NRM standards and expectations as per donor organizational and government guidelines
• Ensure context specific planning and timely delivery of project activities
• Efficiently and effectively manage the project’s budget and finances through efficient budget forecast and expenditure monitoring on weekly basis.
• Provide leadership to ME-FLR project by staying abreast of best practices and experiences of other GIZ partners in FLR and sharing them with regional and country ME offices and relevant communities and stakeholders.
• Play a key role in defining new initiatives /ideas development by leading the technical design of FLR project activities.
• Ensure that design and implementation of project activities are always in accordance with the Mission East Code of Conduct Mission East protocols and procedures and agreed priorities and objectives; and that they comply with donor contractual obligations and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS) and other regulatory codes (e.g. Sphere Minimum Standards)
Ensure that communities in the project area give full social acceptance to Mission East and its projects and more importantly ensure full accountability and transparency towards targeted communities .
Quality Programme Implementation:
• Prepare monthly and weekly activity plans and reports according to the approved ME-GIZ FLR Project Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP).
• Supervise effective implementation of ME-GIZ FLR activities in the target districts and communities .
• Lead and support the project team in the planning implementation and monitoring of the FLR / NRM project activities.
• Make regular field visits to ensure that project activities are being implemented and monitored as per agreed standards and approaches and that MEAL findings and learnings are incorporated into project approaches and action plans.
• Work closely with the MEAL team to strengthen monitoring and evaluation systems analysis feedback and conduct monthly project reviews to improve reporting and decision making through regular management and update of Project Trackers and relevant MEAL tools.
• Provide regular feedback to RPM and CoP on various implementation issues and challenges for their early resolution ensuring smooth implementation of activities.
• Ensure that MEAL findings and learnings are being incorporated into programme approaches and action plans.
• Timely reporting and documentation on project activities on agreed formats through monthly Activity and M&E Trackers and other monitoring tools.
• Identify and mobilize technical resource or skills that could enhance quality of the project outputs and outcomes
• Actively participate and contribute in provincial/district/cluster level coordination and donor/GIZ meetings and workshops as requested by RPM and/or CoP
• Contribute and support district / provincial emergency assessments and response as requested by RPM/CoP.
• Establish working relationships with provincial and district level authorities communities agriculture schools non-governmental organizations cooperatives and private sector.
• On delegation by RPM and/or COP to ensure ad-hoc additional representation with other stakeholders such as funding organisation and cluster/inter-agency meetings etc
Staff and Stakeholder Management and Coaching:
• Recruit and supervise FLR project staff in line with Mission East standards and policies including ensuring team coordination and conducting regular appraisals.
• Develop individual and team capacity through feedback coaching and training.
• Develop capacities of project staff and beneficiaries CDC members and local authorities and local partners in implementing FLR/NRM activities.
• Conduct or facilitate relevant trainings and other learning events for project staff and beneficiaries community members DDAs CDCs and CBNRM committee members.
• Other possible duties as agreed with the RPM Chief of Programmes and Country Director
• In case of absence from duty the PM will ensure a smooth and complete handover of duties and responsibilities to the senior FLR project team member and/or the RPM.
~~Interested applicants who meet the required criteria of the position can submit their Resume and Cover Letter to both email address: [email protected] and [email protected] before the deadline mentioned above. Please note (Do not attached certificates and etc.) • Please mention name of the position and your name (FLR Project Manager # Your Name) in the subject line of your email. The closing date for this position is 16-Feb-2020.