Bachelor degree in civil engineering /transportation engineering
Skills & Competencies:
• Coordination and communication skills: proven experience in coordinating overall activities and timely reporting of project activities through different channel
• Highly proficient in design software such as AutoCAD AutoCAD Civil 3D Bentley MX Road D and other structural design software.
• Must able to design the rigid and flexible pavements by AASHTO method
• Proven knowledge of road construction.
• Working knowledge of MS Office packages (MS Project especially) with advanced Excel skills
• Excellent English skills both written and verbal. Fluent in Pashtu and Dari both written and verbal.
• Proven organizational negotiation and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions.
• Must able to deliver at least 10km/month road design with complete documentation
• Must able to review 50Km/month outsource survey and design
• Must able to prepare the bill of quantities of road and bridge projects
• Strong AutoCAD knowledge for drafting of road design output
• Principles of design construction and maintenance of public works projects.
• Computers and specialized engineering software applications and file management procedures.
• Results-based program development management and reporting
• Be able and willing to travel to all provinces within Afghanistan including insecure and volatile areas.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field; and four (8) year’s professional civil engineering experience.
• Master degree in Civil Engineering is required or Bachelor of Civil Engineering plus 2 years of additional work experience may consider in lieu of Master Degree.
• Languages: Fluency in speaking Dari Pashto and English languages as well as professional business writing skills
• Computer skills: Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software of Design.
• Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera)
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract
Duties & Responsibilities
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
MPW is looking to recruit a Senior Road maintenance Design Engineer with extensive experience in this capacity. The Sr. Road Design Engineer works under the guidance of the Head of Technical Section. The Sr. Road Design Engineer will manage all designs and technical documentation and specifically designs and reviews drawings specifications and work methodologies according to AASHTO and MPW Design standards. The incumbent will function as a member of the operation and maintenance team where He/She provides technical inputs and Supports technical and engineering personnel with project support duties. The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in MPW. He/ She must directly report to the Senior Engineers/ Consultants of the team.
The Senior Road Maintenance Design Engineer will carry out the following
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Under the guidance of Head of Engineering the Senior Road Maintenance Design Engineer is responsible to produce the design as per MPW/AASHTO and MUTCD design standards using computer aided software’s.
• Design of rigid and flexible pavements by AASHTO method
• Review technical specifications to ensure adherence to AASHTO and MoPW standards
• Ensure that all designs are completed to the highest standards based on initial survey data provided by the Surveyors Regional Engineers.
• Prepare BoQs and technical documentation in accordance with MPW standards.
• Prepare a design report to justify the selection of alignments and other design features.
• Carry out site review during design to ensure all factors are considered in the recommended final design.
• Carry out site visits during construction to assist construction staff responsible for managing the construction project.
• Provide advice and coordination of the construction of the roads in conjunction with the Contract Management Section and the Contractor.
• Assist the Contract Management Section and QA/QC and Regional Engineers with monitoring the work of the contractor.
• Review the existing practice of local contractors and conventional methodology of road construction; make recommendations that will increase safety (taking budget constraints into account) in the construction of roads undertaken by ARAP/MPW.
• Review QA/QC site visit and materials testing reports to ensure sampling testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with design specifications.
• Coordinate with the Contract Management Section and the Procurement Management Section on all contractual matters in the completion of the respective Contracts.
• Building the capacity of MPW Engineers in road design and construction techniques including good practices and troubleshooting methods.
• Provide technical advice and assistance to contractors to ensure that economical and quality materials are purchased.
• Coordinate on design changes that are processed by the Contract Management Section.
• Assist with the provision of social-economic analysis of the respective road designs. This entails using Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA) modeling processes such as cost per person that the road will benefit.
• Perform any other duty in line with these ToR’s as directed by the Head of Engineering and Senior Road Design Engineer.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications and detailed CV to [email protected] kindly indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/1400-23) and the post title (Senior Road Maintenance Design Engineer) in the subject line when applying by email. To the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Work Kabul Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office Kabul Jalalabad Road In front of KMTC Ministry of Public Work Kabul Afghanistan.